RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, what are your thoughts on a /5 review scale?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> The Site and the Forums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil
Bloody persistant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: So, what are your thoughts on a /5 review scale? Reply with quote

Alright, so I'm having a disagreement with some people about our review scale. At current, our review scale is /10, but it's literal. Which means that the middle of the road is literally 5, instead of 7 or so like most other sites. My problem with this is that it causes people to misinterpret the scores since people are so used to the /10 scale being treated like a GPA, where anything below 7 = bad.

An easy solution to this, I think, would be to switch to /5, since people wouldn't misinterpret that. But nobody else thinks this is a good idea, because people think this will be misinterpreted too, since the middle of the line would litereally be 2.5. But I figure to fix this, we'd just add a 0 or a 1/2 or something.

One of their points is that we have a "verdict" that goes below the score which reflects the quality of the score. If a game gets a 7, for example, it would say "very good" below the score. My problem with this, is that this part of the table is relatively small compared to the score, and people aren't going to always notice it if they're newcomers. They're going to be looking for a numerical score, but they're not going to be looking out for that as much.

Their fix for this is to make the text more prominent. Like, put it next to the actual number or something. But it seems like an uncessary step when we could just switch to /5 and be done with it. This wouldn't help when people just take our score and post about it somewhere saying "they gave FFVI Advance a 7 out of 10!".

So, opinions?
Strategos
a$$

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other sites have 7 as the middle of the road? Shit, I'd better take note or else I'll buy a crap game that was rated, in my mind, slightly above average.
Cloudcent
20th Century Boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, first: I like what you guys tried to do with the score. But like Martyr said, our society is based on schooling, where if you get less than a C, you have to try again.

Thus making a 6.5 look absolutely horrible. For instance, take Martyr's review of Rogue Galaxy. It seems soooo much worse than it actually is.(even though I think it's still less than it should have been Wink)

This is made more apparent when a game like Ar Tonelico gets an 8 out of 10. That's higher than most sites give it, but only by half a point. And really, the review(strange as this particular review may be Wink )is MUCH more positive than the reviews that scored it a half a point less.

Basically: One site can't change the way people have been trained to think since 1st Grade. I understand it, but I've been here a while. If i were a casual reader passing by due to a link, I'd be like "WTF!!?!1".

As for Martyr's out of 5 solution, it may not be perfect, but at least it removes the mindset of a report card. To most people, a 3.5/5 would seem much more appealing than a measly 7/10, despite them being the exact same thing.

So where does that put us? I have no idea. All I do know is that it's damn near impossible to compare a score from this site to any other site. Very Happy

Or, if nothing else, how about having a "Converted to mainstream scoring system" mark after everything else you've scored. Just a thought.
Strategos
a$$

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Cloudcent: His solution comes out mildly humorous, and beyond that is retard proof.
randar23rhenn
Old school JRPG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really don't like the out of five system, it really feels to me like it is far too broad, you can't fit enough categories when there are only 5 points. it's one of the reasons i really don't like RPGamer's reviews or Gamespy's... it just seems to be too broad

i really do not want this changed, it is a really bad idea in my opinion

Thanks to Sabo for the sig
Owozifa
Red Menace Commie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strategos wrote:
I second Cloudcent: His solution comes out mildly humorous, and beyond that is retard proof.

I agree that would be quite hilarious. We should come up with a formula.
McCoy fucked me so hard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not give it a grade instead?

A+ being the highest. F being the lowest.

I like that better than the numbering system.
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the /5 scale is the stupidest scale ever and if you implement it I'll be coming over to your house, Heath, and bitchslapping you. I may or may not take pictures, but I will definitely bitchslap you.

If people can't look at the "see our scoring criteria" link at EVERY ONE OF THE REVIEWS THAT HAS A 1-10 SCORE*, then they should consider downloading BonzaiBuddy. When people compare scores, there may be some discrepancy, but the answer is for people to keep in mind our median mark (a five, over a 6.67 to 7) and not going over to some clichéd "out of 5" system.

Not to mention, you'll literally have to go through each and every review and change them to meet your new scale...

AS IT STANDS, all of us have 20 options to choose from; .5 through the perfect ten. The one through five scale limits this to 10 options (.5 to 5.) Keeping the one through ten scale but changing our median creates the same problem that ever other one through ten scale user has - the total uselessness of those lower numbers. When those other sites say "5" they truly and honestly mean "3.5" with the numbers between "1" and "3" becoming increasingly irrelevant. When we say "5" we mean a game is average; when we say "3.5" we honestly mean "Wow, this game has some issues" and an honest to God 1? "Don't get us started."

In short: It ain't really broken. Don't bother fixing it. Go to a one through five scale and Heath's face experiences brutal foreplay.

*Someone update that damn EQOA review, or something... and also, Tim overrated it. What the hell Tim.
NR
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil and I discussed this for a while and it looks like we came to a compromise...

-Make our "The Verdict" thing more pronounced than it currently is (bigger, above the score box, possibly bold, whatever)
-Underneath the score box, have a left-to-right meter With 1 marked as "Trash" or something, 5 tagged "Average," and 10 Marked "Legendary," then an arrow pointing to the game in question's score. That way, people can see visually where things stack up.

No scale will ever please everyone (it's apprently hard enough to even satisfy a majority on this topic, as our recent research has indicated ^^), that's for dang sure, but this should resolve some things.

Thanks, guys.
timrpgland
Founder, Est. 1999

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Make our "The Verdict" thing more pronounced than it currently is (bigger, above the score box, possibly bold, whatever)

hey that was my idea Wink
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timrpgland wrote:
Quote:
Make our "The Verdict" thing more pronounced than it currently is (bigger, above the score box, possibly bold, whatever)

hey that was my idea Wink

Yes yes Wink
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like grades too. It's the perfect happy medium between a 5 or 10 point scale and the media's asinine 7-10 scale.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> The Site and the Forums All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: