RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brave Story: New Traveler review

View previous topic :: View next topic  
?diuQiL
.hctiB .erianidroartxe tob daerhT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Brave Story: New Traveler review Reply with quote

http://rpgland.com/games/bravestorynewtraveler/review.html

"Load times and lag that have plagued other PSP releases are absent from Brave Story. Transitions into battle are almost instant; the longest load time in the game is a town-overworld transition, which can take around four seconds--clearly nothing to be alarmed about. It's about time PSP games got over this loading crap, so Brave Story earns props there.

"On top of that, Brave Story is set up near perfectly for a portable RPG. The main quest can be completed in about 20 hours, which is short for console standards, but there are also a great many players who don't want a handheld RPG to require Dragon Quest VIII-type timeframes to complete. There are also some optional things to do in Brave Story, including an extra dungeon, some optional bosses, and other various side quests, which can be done before or after the official endgame. It might be called short by some, but really, that's great for a handheld game. "
NR
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game started out very, very easy and there seemingly wasn't much to interest a seasoned RPG veteren to keep playing. If you'd have asked me to predict my final remarks after the first 2 or 3 hours, I'd have listed the immediately visible (though not back-breaking) flaws mentioned in the review there, to a greater degree, not said much else, and given it a 5.

As the game went on, though, almost every single aspect got better. There were better things to craft (and in effect, reason to go out looking for certain materials), tougher enemies, deeper battles, and interesting story. It kept getting better all game long, and in the end, I feel very satisfied having played through Brave Story.
J.L.Jones
I'd like to see this

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the hero lose the gay had and sword? If not I'm still out. I played the first 15 minutes and thought it was fucking terrible.
NR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.L.Jones wrote:
had and sword?

Huh?
It does take a dungeon or two to actually get good, but I really ended up liking it--more than I thought I would.

It's gonna be really hit or miss though, I'll bet, because one camp will be "OMG great story 10/10!" and the other will be all "It doesn't bring much new to the table and these characters are 'gay!' 1/10!"
J.L.Jones
I'd like to see this

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hat and sword. Sorry.
NR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. No, the hat stays. The sword changes with each new gem that the player gets.
J.L.Jones
I'd like to see this

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it look less gay? Cause that's a fairy sword that he's got there in the beginning.

And Catgirls FTL
VsPluckyDuck
Duckslit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.L.Jones wrote:
Does it look less gay? Cause that's a fairy sword that he's got there in the beginning.

Heath and I said it looked a little goofy when we first saw it, but the sword gets progressively more awesome looking, and you get your first sword gemstone extremely quickly, so whoo. Never have to look at it again, if it bothers you that much.

Still, though. Hats? Swords? Who really cares? This and all other statements like it mystify me. It's...a virtual hat. It has no bearing on the quality of any aspect of the game. Get over it.

As for catgirls, again, who cares whether she's sporting ears or whatever? If you really can't stand to look at her, turf her from your party for the far superior Meladee (black-haired woman on cover). This stuff shouldn't really be a game-breaker.

Quote:
It's gonna be really hit or miss though, I'll bet, because one camp will be "OMG great story 10/10!" and the other will be all "It doesn't bring much new to the table and these characters are 'gay!' 1/10!"

You're probably right, there. When I heard about the game I assumed it would be just the opposite: a whole bunch of middling scores, and that the game itself would be mediocre. But in my shoulder-watching and level grinding when your wrists got sore, I was pleasantly surprised.

The script's one of those good surprises. Instead of bland, tasteless dialogue punctuated by brief moments of cleverness, it's the other way around.
J.L.Jones
I'd like to see this

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's not really a deal breaker. I just found the game to be very `... I played this shit before and it was good when I played it last time... Why does it suck now?"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VsPluckyDuck wrote:
But in my...level grinding when your wrists got sore...
Hey, stop embarassing me in front of the guys Embarassed
Sethimothy
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.L.Jones wrote:
And Catgirls FTL

:/ I hate you.
Owozifa
Red Menace Commie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NR wrote:
VsPluckyDuck wrote:
But in my...level grinding when your wrists got sore...
Hey, stop embarassing me in front of the guys Embarassed

Heh. I remember one time I dropped in on a friend of mine and he had his sister levelling his Red Mage in FF11. She just sat there in a near-zombie state the entire time while we played Mario Kart.

On an opposite note, my brother paid me like 10 bucks to sit for an hour getting characters magic in FF6. I felt like Chinese labor, but it paid good.
20th Century Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm torn between trying this and that new Tales PSP game due out this week.

Tales will be more immediately fun, but I have a feeling I'd enjoy this game as well.

I may get both. We'll see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG Land Updates All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: