RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8 new Tabula Rasa screens, 1 movie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
?diuQiL
.hctiB .erianidroartxe tob daerhT

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: 8 new Tabula Rasa screens, 1 movie Reply with quote

http://www.rpgland.com/content/?p=875
Acend
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it keeps looking better and better.
a$$

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to make it so that all updates about a single game go into one thread. That ought to encourage more in depth discussion of the game at hand, and it will keep this board less cluttered. This board is, right now, cluttered.
Phil
Bloody persistant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purpose of this forum isn't to discuss a game as a whole. Those kinds of things would be better suited for the RPG/Video Game Discussion.
Strategos
a$$

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martyr wrote:
The purpose of this forum isn't to discuss a game as a whole. Those kinds of things would be better suited for the RPG/Video Game Discussion.

Why, then, do we reply in this forum? I don't get it! If some new screens come out, make this bot post in the topic with the old screens, so the discussion of the screens can take into account all of the screens, and not just some of them. I think that might make for more work, though, so take it as you will.
Phil
Bloody persistant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about that contradiction before, but have just never come up with a palpable solution. It would be a bitch from a programming aspect too, yes.

I dunno. Thoughts?
Strategos
a$$

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say do it if it isn't too much work.

Now, I don't know jack shit about anything, but perhaps you could set up categories of sorts, and threads corresponding to such categories, such that the bot would post updates in each category into that category's thread. Should such a course be taken, I would advise one category per game. While in theory, it could be broken up further - say, screencaps thread and other things thread - there are some of the sub-areas that wouldn't get much love at all, leaving them to rot while others carried on. One thread per game, with all that game's news posted into the thread would be good.

Also consider that while this setup is alright right now, when we are current, what when we want to go back and look at all of a game's content on the site and read the discussion of it, maybe to get a good feel for the game to see if we were interested? Digging through all the threads on it would be counterproductive, especially when some of the threads would have little to nothing and so we'd have to hunt for the good ones through the clutter of threads relating to the game.
Acend
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we currently already have categories on the index and in the stories themselves.

What you're talking about with categories in the forums is really just a short term plan, eventually you will have tons of categories for every game, etc. and you'll still have the problem you're complaining about now.

I'm currently good with the current system, its nice to draw non-index RPG Landers to various stories or media that we have up, and from there if they want to know what else we have about that particular game or topic just click the handy categories at the bottom of every story.
a$$

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acend wrote:

What you're talking about with categories in the forums is really just a short term plan, eventually you will have tons of categories for every game, etc. and you'll still have the problem you're complaining about now.

Not quite. When looking for all of the stuff on a game with the commentary of the forum, the categories are the way to go. You'll preferably only have one category per game, so it should be easy to find what you're looking for. Right now, if I want to find everything about Wild Arms 5 and all of our commentary on it in one easy place, I've got to first find all the threads related to Wild Arms 5, open them all, and copy/paste into MS Word. I won't be looking for all the stuff on two or three games, though, so if we do it that way, the organization will be left intact.
It is also the aforementioned clutter problem, with a bunch of topics with little to no response. Compiling everything about a game into one topic not only keeps the forum free of useless topics, should one update be worthless (though I trust our staff here not to produce useless news), there will not be an empty thread in my way; likewise, compiling all of the info about one game into one place facilitates more response, lending to a better experience because of more commentary on the news and updates.

So it's not a short term fix. It's a long term thing. It destroys the root of the problem: I don't have a problem with lots of topics; rather, I have a problem with lots of useless and empty topics.

To your comment about using the categories in place, they do not allow me to focus the commentary on one game into a single thread; rather, I've got to read several different topics in several different pages, and I lose the ability to watch people draw lines between updates, etc. I can see all the news with the current categories; I cannot see all the current commentary.

You are fine with the current system now, but it will get out of hand as we get more and more news, making it impossible to find what past news you are looking for because of the sheer amount of threads in the forum.
J.L.Jones
I'd like to see this

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol search function lol

Gaymer's forums are run like this too. It's not a big deal, Stop being gay.
a$$

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.L.Jones wrote:
lol search function lol

Gaymer's forums are run like this too. It's not a big deal, Stop being gay.

It's not a big deal, no, which is why I prefaced it with: "If it would be too much work..." However, being no big deal doesn't mean that it isn't still a better route; I simply defended my idea as valid. If it isn't a big deal, don't take time to tell me I'm wrong, guys Wink.
VsPluckyDuck
Duckslit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strategos wrote:

It's not a big deal, no, which is why I prefaced it with: "If it would be too much work..." However, being no big deal doesn't mean that it isn't still a better route; I simply defended my idea as valid. If it isn't a big deal, don't take time to tell me I'm wrong, guys ;-).

It's a good idea, and at the same time, not. The problem is that it's impractical: or at least, less practical than having many independent threads.

Each news post links to the thread, so by using the news categories you can find the old small threads with just a few more clicks than flipping through pages of one large thread trying to find a particular point of discussion. For function, it's basically a question of whether you'd like to focus on overall discussion versus discussion of the updates at hand.

Also take into consideration: what happens with an update that links to many games, or to stories that are linked to no game in particular? Do you split the forum link into many many links on the news page?

Also, with a large thread, older threads are constantly being bumped and some posts won't fade quietly away, but will instead be brought to fresh light. Take a look at the forum public and think about why this might be a bad idea.

Example: think about what an overall Crisis Core thread might look like. What happens when one has to lock a game's thread? Do we want a 76 reply thread on our index that is a constant rehashing of "ur r all teh ghey and FF7 sucks and i make fun of Otterland!!1!1"? It would require overall a lot more wrist slapping and moderation, which nobody wants to do. Smaller threads let people have their brief lol moments which fade when the discussion segues and the topic dies.

Threads that have good discussion will live longer, threads that derail will quickly and quietly die without resurrection. I don't think the sheer number of threads is a problem, given the way one can search a game category to find a particular post and its threads. That, combined with the difficulty in coding with single large threads for multiple or no games, tips the balance for me personally. A large overall thread would have to be done manually anyways, so one may as well do it in the RPG/Video Game Discussion forum if they so desire, and leave the smaller threads here.
NR
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, everyone's got a point and all, but really, pretty much every forum is run like this.

Even sites without an actual news feed will consistently have a new thread as the result of a new scan/set of scans/set of screens/leaked gameplay detail/video of a game. Cruise the internet from forum A to forum Z and you'll see "Special edition PSP announced with Game XYZ!" with 2 pages later a thread called "Game XYZ: Interview with art designer," with a page or two later, "Scans and screens for Game XYZ." Etc.

Is it cluttersome? Oh yeah. Do some topics get brought up multiple times, questions get asked (and possibly answered) more than once? Sure, it happens sometimes. But that's just the way things go. There's most commonly a general "Discuss Game XYZ" thread and various other threads sprung up because of news bits and media stuffs that arise regarding that game.

A lot of these games which sites like ours cover aren't out yet, so general discussion-type threads can't manifest until close to release time, but once they do, it's pretty much the end of the more "BREAKING NEWS" threads.

This part of the forum is tied to index updates and pretty well expected to be a sort of faster-paced board than the others, so it's not too huge a deal. But I know that like you (Strat) said, you weren't too bent about it, so I'm not gonna say much more than that, eh?

It's just kinda the way it's gotta be, you know? I'd like the option, when updating, to have the thinger link to an existing thread, because sometimes a new one is unnecessary (e.g. when I post something on the index about something we're doing in the forums), but other than rare cases, things are alright how they are.
Strategos
a$$

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VsPluckyDuck wrote:
Strategos wrote:

It's not a big deal, no, which is why I prefaced it with: "If it would be too much work..." However, being no big deal doesn't mean that it isn't still a better route; I simply defended my idea as valid. If it isn't a big deal, don't take time to tell me I'm wrong, guys Wink.

It's a good idea, and at the same time, not. The problem is that it's impractical: or at least, less practical than having many independent threads.

Each news post links to the thread, so by using the news categories you can find the old small threads with just a few more clicks than flipping through pages of one large thread trying to find a particular point of discussion. For function, it's basically a question of whether you'd like to focus on overall discussion versus discussion of the updates at hand.

Also take into consideration: what happens with an update that links to many games, or to stories that are linked to no game in particular? Do you split the forum link into many many links on the news page?

Also, with a large thread, older threads are constantly being bumped and some posts won't fade quietly away, but will instead be brought to fresh light. Take a look at the forum public and think about why this might be a bad idea.

Example: think about what an overall Crisis Core thread might look like. What happens when one has to lock a game's thread? Do we want a 76 reply thread on our index that is a constant rehashing of "ur r all teh ghey and FF7 sucks and i make fun of Otterland!!1!1"? It would require overall a lot more wrist slapping and moderation, which nobody wants to do. Smaller threads let people have their brief lol moments which fade when the discussion segues and the topic dies.

Threads that have good discussion will live longer, threads that derail will quickly and quietly die without resurrection. I don't think the sheer number of threads is a problem, given the way one can search a game category to find a particular post and its threads. That, combined with the difficulty in coding with single large threads for multiple or no games, tips the balance for me personally. A large overall thread would have to be done manually anyways, so one may as well do it in the RPG/Video Game Discussion forum if they so desire, and leave the smaller threads here.

All I got out of that was a slightly larger vocabulary.

The same to Heath, minus the second part.

I'll concede this time, but I swear, if I could really digest the lot of that, I might have else to say... or not, as it stands. I really did just blank mentally.
J.L.Jones
I'd like to see this

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you gotta be like that, Janelle...? You know making fun of Otterland is Americas new pass time... It breaks my heart that you can't support that.
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really off topic, but I was frickin' tickled pink I was able to find a way to get a rather useless thread locked, and annoy the hell out of another thread poster. God it was awesome!

I... have issues, I know. _

As games are being released, we can certainly talk about them (and the relevent news) here, with more "hands-on" stuff in the other sections, and we've got strong ab out of the problem handled. Multiple sections would really just convolute the process.

[Edited!]

i THINK-

Er,

I think I'm done here.

Nothing to see, move along...
randar23rhenn
Old school JRPG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the game looks sweet, but i just dont have the $ for another MMO at all

Thanks to Sabo for the sig
timrpgland
Founder, Est. 1999

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread got out of hand. Smile
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lil' bit
McCoy fucked me so hard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah everything is fine.

The more restrictions and rules you put on this board will just make it suck.

Why change something that does not need to be changed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG Land Updates All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: