RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Remember me?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sethimothy
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject: Remember me? Reply with quote

This place is still around, kind of. That is kind of cool. According to what the website said I hadn't logged on in like 4 years. Maybe I can make it another 4! I see the place is still mostly dead and Heath posts updates on a place that isn't here.

These days, I work a lot as a PCA, go to school (finally making strides of getting a network administration degree! I will actually be sitting for A+ certification in about 6 weeks, with Cisco soon to follow), and also I have an amazing wife who has given me three amazing children (9,2,1). I mean to raise, not like "here you go do something with these bastards."

Had a moment to kill and saw that this place was still around, anid well, here I am posting. I don't do a lot of gaming anymore, sadly, due to time constraints, although I did get sacked into the mobile game Brave Frontier. I spend even less time online but honestly that is for the best. No one needs all that drama.

Hope all is going well for you and you are all working to achieve your dreams and goals!
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Place isn't any more or less dead than it ever was. We done chased off anybody that still cared about RPGs so long ago. This is an MMA/hockey forum now.
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiQuid! wrote:
This is an MMA/hockey forum now.

There has been a push to make that slash into a hyphen.
I have long desired an MMA-hockey forum, once I finalize the rules of this new and amazing sport.

Also, Hi Tim.
Hey if you're doing network administration, do you know how to take a website and move it to another host?
Sethimothy
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer: kind of.

Long answer: every website is different, and moving from one server to another can have complications when going from a legacy server to a new one. As an example, let's say you wanted to move this website to another physical host. The forums were installed with this server in mind, so it isn't as simple as drag and drop. If you were integrating content from this website to another, pains would need to be taken to ensure the content displayed as desired and all links worked as they should.

It is something I have studied in theory but have not practiced as of yet. Right now I am using virtual machines to connect servers to each other.
NR

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah.
Yeah our host sucks balls and I'm trying to find a good migration service. They're asspensive, but not as much as paying for dumb Cari. Looks like this place Server Surgeon is what I'll end up doing.
Acend
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly since this is basically just a wordpress website with some files and a phpBB website you would just need to move all of the files from one server to another (that you wanted to keep, last I checked there was a LOT of files unused on the server) then you'd just backup the database. From there you should be able to theoretically just upload to a new server, create a new SQL database and import the backed up wordpress database, install wordpress and then connect it to the SQL database.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm you sound knowledgeable....

*scratches chin*
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cute that you think anything here is worth saving. Just wipe the shit clean.
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I do web design and hosting for a living now along with IT support for local businesses.

You may want to look into Amazon EC2 as a fairly inexpensive hosting option. It has the bonus of being able to grow and shrink in power as needed (if configured like this).
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like Acend knows his stuff, so you should listen to him. I'm just a something somebody who thinks he's something because he got A+ certification. Like, what teenager doesn't have that at this point, amiright? Very Happy Seriously, if you were closer to where I was, I'd suggest we get together because I could use some networking into the, er, networking and IT business. Instead of Texas, though, I live in a city that could be described as "all the crime of Chicago without any of the benefits." Now with more dead bodies washing ashore! Exciting times.
Acend
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not that bad, I started the business because a family acquaintance heard I knew about computers and offered me $150 a month to act as an "IT Retainer" from there I just learned some more, found some really good products that are inexpensive I use to monitor clients computers and fix them remotely (called RMM tools in the industry) and basically just joined a local Chamber of Commerce and started networking. Had to do stuff cheap early on to get my name out there, but as I got more known and trusted and knowledgable my price went up. Give a business owner good service and do the job well and they tell other people. I'm to the point now I don't have to really do much marketing and word of mouth has become great, although I have to start marketing again since I moved to a new area and am getting tired of driving 1-1.5 hours one way to a client when I have to go on-site. Just start off with "break-fix" things break and you charge hourly to fix it, then after you get to know them and you're trusted you move them into a "managed IT" plan where they pay you a flat rate to keep up their computers and network s(patch management, antivirus, basic level 1/2 help desk, etc. a small office of 5-10 people its easy to charge $400-$500 a month for that service. Then you get the other odd big job, tomorrow I'm going out to install a 26 ethernet drops at a lawfirm, should be a low 5 figure gig and pay for summer vacation.

You can do IT stuff, just gotta get out there and do it. I've found a nice niche with small businesses as most managed IT companies don't want anyone under 20 workstations and they can charge $3000-$4000 per month minimums, but it leaves a big group of underserved smaller businesses, especially professional offices. My best clients are CPAs, Insurance agencies, and Law Firms. I've also have/had a truck dispatcher, medical sales company, commercial electrician, chamber of commerce, hardware store, local city government.
McCoy fucked me so hard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scab
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from Texas, there are no unions down here.
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idin Leis wrote:
scab

Hey Idin. Congratulations on being able to marry your chosen partner. When is your and LiQuid! going to finally tie the knot?

In more seriousness, aren't one (or both?) of you from the Chicago area?
Idin Leis
McCoy fucked me so hard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.

Also I am an UAW member.
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idin's from Chicago and I'm from Milwaukee. That'd be some Odd Couple shit.
Captain of the War Wagon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, Idin, and Solice all grew up in the same general area. Solice is my brother in law and him & Idin have been friends for basically ever.
Idin Leis
McCoy fucked me so hard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since high school.

Why doesn't Solice come on here anymore?
True to the bullet pith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh he does!
"True to the bullet pith on the enclose, Rocksmith allows you to beat the drum for legitimate hither any electric guitar into the proprietary USB chain that comes with the encounter..." - NEERGENCE, 12/02/2011
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> Misc. Discussion All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: