RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nobody actually got a Switch, right?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG/Video Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NR
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Nobody actually got a Switch, right? Reply with quote

I mean, right?

I've heard the motion gimmick is broken (in addition to being, you know, a motion gimmick), the battery life sucks, there's like 1 appealing game and the accessories' high-ass prices balance out the respectable $300 cost of the console (...if you can call it a console).

There's...like no reason to buy this right now, unless you're a way intense Zelda fan who simply can not wait.
Acend
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh I got one, I'm loving the new Zelda but I'll give you my first hand impressions point by point.

Yeah of course motion controls are gimmicks and haven't lead to any decent gameplay outside of a few VR games but I doubt will be used by anyone and it isn't forced like the Wii

Honestly I haven't had any issues with battery life and find the battery life has been more than adequate. I've played it portable with joycons attached (so more power draw as it charges those) and got at least 3 hours of gameplay plus another hour or 2 idle time in between before needing to charge, and it wasn't even at the warning low battery yet. I think the battery life is basically what you get with the new DS XL minus 30-60 minutes for full use. For me playing in bed at night that's no problem, should last me most flights or trips I'd use it on and I have a external battery charger for an added 3-4 hours for the rare occasions it won't.

Yeah the accessories are pretty expensive, but the pro controller is no more than a PS4/XBone controller for same features so its a universal, fuck you guys. I do think the charging grib for the joycon is probably worth it and $30 they should have thrown in.

All told I walked out spending about ~$550 for the console, accessories, zelda, and bomberman. about $150 less than my wife spent to get my the PS4 launch for Xmas (which I didn't want but couldn't tell her right?).

Its only a couple of days in so time will tell but so far I'm happy. Most of my hardcore gaming times is on the PC now but I still spend a respectable amount of time playing my DS. I like to play games in bed or have stuff on the go for down times and think this will be great. I have spent more time playing my PS4 through my Vita than on a TV.

This Zelda is fantastic, I'm about 10ish hours in and am loving it. Its gorgeous and I like the open world and updated game design and "tutorial". There are several games I'm looking forward to and I always love first party and classic games.

The thing that clinched the purchase for me was the announcement that any virtual console games that come out on the switch will be updated with netcode so you can play multiplayer over the internets. multiplayer Super Mario world and Mario Kart SNES? yes please!
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh so final thoughts.

I'd call it a console, the graphics and gameplay style are there, there seems to be no difference in performance or look from the handheld of my 70" UHD tv.

I agree unless you need to be "the first" or can't wait for Zelda I'd hold off a bit getting it.

I think it will be a great buy for holidays with Mario coming out and their virtual console and online systems up and running.

I mostly got it because I needed something to distract me from family issues (probable death in the family imminent) so I had the money and knew I'd it it eventually so I was able to do so.

I didn't preorder, I just showed up at Target Thursday morning at 8am and they had plenty.
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sticking with my New 3DS. I'm rather concerned that the new zelda game is already experiencing stuttering and frame issues; it doesn't bode well for what the system can do in the future.
PipArchDevil

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acend wrote:
Yeah the accessories are pretty expensive, but the pro controller is no more than a PS4/XBone controller for same features so its a universal, fuck you guys.

Have you tried using it on PC?
NR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I bought one too -- day 1 -- and was just embarrassed about it. This thread was a front.

Much like when you walk in and your bro is listening to some chittyshittybangbang song and he's all "Yeah heh this was like, just on and I dunno how this was playing right now and ah we should change it," Iiiiii picked up a Switch because of
1) Zelda hype
2) One of the kids said, I'm paraphrasing, that she had told her friends she'd definitely play Switch on launch weekend because she had the coolest English teacher and he has all the game stuff ever. I mean, I gotta keep bein' the cool teacher, right? Right?

>_>
So I have my 400ish dollar Zelda machine. On the upside, BotW is one of the best games I've played in years, so far.

Sethimothy wrote:
I'm sticking with my New 3DS. I'm rather concerned that the new zelda game is already experiencing stuttering and frame issues; it doesn't bode well for what the system can do in the future.

Though this is a legitimate concern.
I hope it doesn't get too crazy; I'm not all that far (I've spent hours just sorta dicking around in the woods). And hope it's also just a symtom of being a very early, very ambitious, big game.

I'm excited to try Disgaea 5 on this thing though. TRPGs seem like a perfect fit for Switch's style.
NR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL we still have the word filters. All this time and I still forget they're there.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda wanna play Zeldo but the weapons always breaking sounds like a pain in the dick. I dunno I'll probably get a switch some day if they put MonHun or Pokeymans on it but not just for 1 game in a franchise I don't like. The hardware looks like hot trash.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the new Zelda really that good? I heard there were few dungeons in that game, and that was the best part about Zelda games, in my opinion.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I like open world games. I haven't ever really liked a 3D Zelda but this one seems the most interesting to me.

Shame about the weapon degradation tho. Those kinds of systems chap my ass.
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its good, honestly though the weapons always breaking aren't that big of a deal since they keep throwing them at you and often your inventory is full and you need to decidxe on what to keep.

Not sure why they did the constant breaking if they weren't also limiting the drops or just make the breaking take a lot longer and have fewer weapons?

Does make you think and conserve your big weapons for the appropriate battles though.

Still really enjoying it, best Zelda since Orcarina and Link to the Past, hands down.
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither of those Zelda games was that great, what kind of endorsement is that?

Is it as good as Link's Awakening?

And conserving weapons is not something I ever want to do in a video game. Weapons are not meant to be conserved. They are not consumables. I fucking loathe the idea of weapon degradation without there being a way to repair them. That shit chaffs my ass.
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiQuid! wrote:
Neither of those Zelda games was that great, what kind of endorsement is that?

I'm sorry I can't help a crazy person.
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link's Awakening is the only zelda game good enough for me to beat. All the reason of them have been boring.

Link's Awakening is literally just a better LttP anyways, why would you hold that up in some high esteem? It's just Link's Awakening without personality. Come on, son.
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Link's Awakening is in the top 3 best Zelda games, and obviously best mobile, but there was more areas, secrets, and cool things in LttP in my opinion and Orcarina was one of the first games that did 3d great and still my favorite Zelda.

I agree the rest were hard or impossible to finish (still love the original thought but admit its more from nostalgia as it was my first NES game) but to hate on LttP and Orcarina, no son, you're crazy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot opinions coming through:

LttP > LA
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LttP doesn't have any character to it.

All the NPCs are nameless, faceless townsfolk and elders and shit.

You save the same 7 identical princesses who all have nothing to say.

LttP is just WIZZURD BAD! PLZ KILL! HAV SWORD! It's boring as shit.

Link's Awakening has an immensely charming cast of supporting characters.

Link's Awakening has a memorable, poignant story.

Link's Awakening has Roc's Feather.

Link's Awakening has one of the best glitches of all time which heightens the replay value infinitely

Look at this motherfijucking Space Whale you dumb fucking cunts.

Why the fuck am I even talking to any of you dumbasses?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't finished either of them, but I did kinda like Link's Awakening better than Link to the Past.

But like Majora's Mask better than both.
>_>

<_<
PipArchDevil

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiQuid! wrote:
LttP doesn't have any character to it.

All the NPCs are nameless, faceless townsfolk and elders and shit.

You save the same 7 identical princesses who all have nothing to say.

LttP is just WIZZURD BAD! PLZ KILL! HAV SWORD! It's boring as shit.

Link's Awakening has an immensely charming cast of supporting characters.

Link's Awakening has a memorable, poignant story.

Strange, then, how all I recall of the memorable, poignant story is "get stuck in fish dream, wake up fish, leave." Meanwhile, Link to the Past's story is laid the foundation for every Zelda to follow.

Beyond that though, LttP excels in every aspect that actually matters:
    Better gameplay
    Better world map
    Better dungeons
    Parallel world-shift mechanics
    Better controls
    Better music

Whatever floats your boat though. Enjoy cutting grass for that bow.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Link to the Past's story is laid the foundation for every Zelda to follow.

No it didn't you dumb fuck. You're thinking of The Legend of Zelda, for the Nintendo Entertainment System.

And LttP excels at literally none of the things you listed. It's a shit game.

And who buys the fucking bow, you can just shoplift it like a real man. What can you shoplift in LttP? Fucking nothing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG/Video Game Discussion All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: