RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I don't do intros, but...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: I don't do intros, but... Reply with quote

I figured my website would say enough. See sig. There's your spam.

But to get to the point, I heard you guys were looking for writers. I'm trying to utilize my talents to whomever will take me, pay or no pay. Hey, gotta start somewhere. And the scoring system here is pretty much what I use, only a bit less messy (#1C.com's video game section, BlueHell, uses a fairly liberal percentage system)

Other than my site that looks like a failed art project (it's relatively new), I've also written an article for lostlevels.org in the past and am continuing to contribute to them in the future.

I probably wouldn't be able to do anything soon if you guys wanted me, as I'm sort of in the midst of a moving transition and getting settled in a new place/area. That and I have a lot of other projects (hopefully some that'll actually pay) on my plate. But, in the future, if you guys are looking for some writers or want additional details, let me know. the email's ichibancrush at gmail.com
Bloody persistant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll point out your inquiry towards the EiC...

OOC, how'd you hear we were looking for writers? ^^
NR
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martyr wrote:

He probably just looked at the index and went "Daaaaamn..."
NR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any case, since you're in transition right now, we can probably wait on things, but when you do become available to write, we'd be glad to add to the party. We'll talk at some point down the timeline.
The Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martyr wrote:
I'll point out your inquiry towards the EiC...

That Sethimothy kid who's all into long coats and short skirts.

I had been asking around if there were any semi-well known fan sites/non-profit blogs looking for writers, since I'm trying to get into the biz and figured that'd be a good start. Insert Credit no longer takes unsolicited submissions, which was a downer. And everywhere I checked had dedicated staff. So he mentioned me to you guys.

The review format is here as of now is perfect, as there's not much adaptation to my own scoring philosophies (on my own site, in order for me to give a game a perfect score out of me, it pretty much has to be 100% flawless WHILE giving me oral sex. Anyone else, I know I'd be forced to be more lineant.)

That and LL.org's kind of in a lull period, or will be after I'm done with the next piece I'm doing, which is kind of a big one compared to the first piece of crap I had to write about.
Bloody persistant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
100% flawless WHILE giving me oral sex

Good deal. I think the question everyone now has is: which games have you given perfect scores to, and where can we buy them?
The Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martyr wrote:
Quote:
100% flawless WHILE giving me oral sex

Good deal. I think the question everyone now has is: which games have you given perfect scores to, and where can we buy them?

All genres? Hebereke on Famicom (Ufouria in PAL Nations) and Street Fighter 2 Turbo on SNES came pretty close but didn't exactly finish the job.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, also forgot. I don't know if you guys do just current releases or pretty much anything, but one thing I noticed lacking is reviews of Suikodens 2-4.

I own these games. I'd be glad to do a write up on 'em. Besides, I'd love to revisit Sui2. That and FFT are two of my all time faves, and since you got like two different reviews on FFT, I think a look at everything between the original and S5 would be beneficial.

Also, since my site mostly focuses on the long forgotten without so much as a cult status, I wouldn't mind doing some retro reviews from the 8-bit/16-bit consoles. My Japanese is lacking, so I probably couldn't do anything import (as much as I'd LOVE to finish Far East Of Eden Zero)
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, your website really raises the bar for how awful a website can be.
Founder, Est. 1999

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are still for retro reviews if people wish to write them. I know the staff was worried about only doing games we like which can sometimes get you in trouble when doing retro reviews.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiQuid! wrote:
I have to say, your website really raises the bar for how awful a website can be.

Well it looks like a failed art project, I know. But then again, I'm not a web designer. Plus I can show you much worse.

But the actual written content? I'll defend that.

timrpgland wrote:
I think we are still for retro reviews if people wish to write them. I know the staff was worried about only doing games we like which can sometimes get you in trouble when doing retro reviews.

Suikoden 4's a big fat stinking flop, but I'll review it. Then again, I have a sick fetish for reviewing games I know are pisspoor mediocre or just plain awful.

Keep in mind, you're talking to a guy who's BEATEN Beyond The Beyond out of pure hatred for the game.
a$$

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh? We've been looking for writers!?

We have too many.

Don't write, guys, it keeps you away from the forums. Which is bad.

Oh, and Crush, my advice is to never take anything said on this forum too seriously. On the whole, we are too lazy (and refined. Yellow smiley anyone? No.) to use emoticons and bull like that to mark sarcasm. Plus, then, if we're serious, you get to blow it off.
The Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strategos wrote:
my advice is to never take anything said on this forum too seriously.

Eh, I don't get heated too easily anyway. Not nowadays at least.

(I kind of thought he was kidding to begin with, but really... look at it. I mean, just look at it! You know I was shooting shots of vodka when I first reviewed that Sango 4 game!?)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.

The moving transition is 90% complete. Enough to where I can devote time to an article here and there. I may be available for more than just retrospects, but anything current that needs reviewing, I'm not buying it out of pocket (rentals). Money's tight right now, after all. Hopefully that'll change in the future.

To explain how I review retro, I take it from the perspective of the time it was released, comparing it to the standards of other titles within that time frame, and then applying it to the factor of a "test of time".

I'll use Phantasy Star 3 as an example. First, I would take a look at all video games (mostly MD/Genesis, but may take other 16-bit systems) into consideration, along with other RPGs of that time period. Not the ENTIRE 16-bit era, but the actual time frame it was released within that era. Comparing PStar3 to Chrono Trigger is a bit unfair, but comparing it to FFIV is more than reasonable. In other words, I'd look at it from the player's view if s/he was playing it in 1991-1993, not today. From there I'd take into consideration how well the game has aged by today's standards. In other words, how much would a player today enjoy the game if he took all the above into consideration? PStars 2 and 4 can normally be enjoyed since they were solid titles that are still fun to play today. But from my perspective, I don't think PStar 3 would earn that high of a score, mainly because there were better titles during and before that point in the system's life.

Did you see what I did there?

Yeah, I use a formula when reviewing, but I do take other factors into consideration. To prevent myself from giving a game too low/high a score, I go by one very major rule; if the game sucks, look for anything that could redeem the game from being "the worst game I've ever played" in the midst of exposing it's flaws. If I'm enjoying it, look for any minor problems with the game, especially if it's teetering towards "timeless classic."

Even for Beyond The Beyond, I could find something about it that saves it from a score of 1. Granted, it'd only boost the score to about 1.25, or maybe 1.5. Because even though there may be a positive point here or there... No, seriously, what the fuck?

And that, in itself, is how I roll. Think I might be of service?
Bloody persistant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but anything current that needs reviewing, I'm not buying it out of pocket (rentals).

We get copies from companies quite often, though I wager you'd have to do several reviews first before you were sent that kind of stuff. Embargo deadlines, and all.

Quote:
Did you see what I did there?

Quote:
And that, in itself, is how I roll. Think I might be of service?

Funny you use that terminology Smile

But yeah, sounds good to me; it'd be nice to get some new people who aren't disgruntled RPGamer staff. But, I guess that'd mean more if I was the guy who made those kinds of decisions ^^
Phil
Bloody persistant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I guess you should be made aware that Heath (the guy who DOES make those kinds of decisions) is currently driving cross-country, and probably won't be around for a day or two.
timrpgland
Founder, Est. 1999

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Heath would be the man with the handle on this. Sit tight.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichiban: Check your PM.
Acend
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ichiban Crush wrote:

Keep in mind, you're talking to a guy who's BEATEN Beyond The Beyond out of pure hatred for the game.

The game isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be, sheesh. It has like this whole it's cool to hate BtB thing. I honestly didn't mind it when I first played through it soon after its release.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acend wrote:
The Ichiban Crush wrote:

The game isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be, sheesh. It has like this whole it's cool to hate BtB thing. I honestly didn't mind it when I first played through it soon after its release.

Yeah, but you see, I bought it the day it came out... at full price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> Spam Central All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: