RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soul Nomad and the World Eaters: packaging and English scree
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lordyuanshu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a game I'll be picking up, but it does make me want to play Ogre Battle until Persona 3 comes.
randar23rhenn
Old school JRPG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

talking about the game made me want to check it out more and i watched a couple trailers on the game's site- is the voice acting really THAT bad?

i swear that NIS hires some of the worst voice actors ever- Ar Tonelico is another great example of this. for a game that's premise is that the songs are so beautiful they really messed up on the voices

the battles look pretty sweet though Very Happy

Thanks to Sabo for the sig
Sethimothy
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably pick this game up.

But in so doing, I want to take a moment to explain, as a NIS game player, what generally makes it harder and harder to justify purchasing these games.

These games are not truly meant for casual players. They offer a remarkable amout of replay value (I have over 140 hours in Phantom Brave, and 200+ in Disgaea 2) but the meat of the gameplay is in the dungeons found within items, and especially at higher levels they take a significant amount of time to finish up on.

But, there is plenty to unlock, if one has the characters with the skills and the equipment. Take that sword of your imagination and grind it, grind it, GRIND IT... there you go, now you can attempt to take on the hidden battles. Oh wait, no, YOU NEED THREE THOUSAND MORE LEVELS TO GO!

New game, new day. Start from scratch, you n00b... feh. Let me import my characters, let me import a boost of some sort for having devoted time to the series, SOMETHING. I would be so much less cautious about these new titles if there were a way to import something from the older ones.
Super Megaman X
Call him SMX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our boxart actually looks really photoshopped, at least to me.
PipArchDevil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really understand all the deep hated for NIS games. Sure, nothing extroadinary thus far, but I though some of them were fun. La Pucelle was fun to play through, even if the story sucked it still progressed at enough of a pace to hold my interest. Disgaea 2 I though was great, both as far as gameplay and story. I've gone through it twice now. Makai Kingdom was fun too, though a story mostly involving one person was really boring.

Disgaea:HoD and Phantom brave I can understand, I hate having to level up just to progress through the manditory chapters in the game, thus the game was unually more frustrating than anything.

Has this been discussed anywhere else? I'd really like to know the reasons everyone shuns these games.
J.L.Jones
I'd like to see this

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's mostly because they just do not change the formula.

Disgaea 2 is just like Makai Kingdom is just like Phantom Brave is just like La Pucelle is just like Disgaea 1.

The low-res sprites. The mind-numbing leveling. The whole package just tends to suffer from them being so resistant to change.

Disgaea nearly ruined the entire SRPG genre for me. Mainly because it took so long to get anywhere or do anything in that game, And when you finally got into battle it just wasn't very fun.

I can't speak for anyone else. But that's why I really don't like them.
McCoy fucked me so hard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.L.Jones wrote:
The low-res sprites. The mind-numbing leveling. The whole package just tends to suffer from them being so resistant to change.

I think Pip is a little biased because he seems to be a super fan of any modern game that has sprites.

Not that that is a bad thing. I just think NIS shows us how it is not a good thing.

Every game I have played was horrible. I actually bought disgaea mostly because of the hype. I tried so hard to get into it. I spent a lot of money on it.

I just couldn't get into it.
Old school JRPG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here

disgaea was like an SRPG done wrong imo. it had some great concepts, but nothing truly new. plus the story was awful and the "humor" was lacking

i of course got Disgaea 2 anyway like a fool. havent touched it yet cause i have no motivation too. thankfully it was a gift from a friend

phantom brave i played too and thought it was alright... nothing great at all though

this game, however, looks awesome. im actually excited about it.

now if they bring Ar Tonelico 2 over as well....

Thanks to Sabo for the sig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG Land Updates All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: