RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RPGLand comic strip
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: RPGLand comic strip Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this idea for awhile. Unfortunately I forgot the better ideas. All I remember now was that it may be about a generic rpg character in a generic rpg world exploring the newest developments in the genre. Or possibly a strip featuring the players of the games ala Penny Arcade may be better suited to the site. Or the whole idea may be lame, I dunno.

Thoughts, considerations, intuitions?
Strategos
a$$

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can draw, I can write Wink. In fact, I think most of the people on this board, for some odd reason, are rather good for writing. If you plan on doing this, don't smear our good name by making chittyshittybangbang art.
PipArchDevil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or buy me a scanner. Or tablet. Or both.
Strategos
a$$

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PipArchDevil wrote:
Or buy me a scanner. Or tablet. Or both.

Dude, get your Wacom off of eBay. There's a guy there that buys en masse from a liquidator and resells the 12*12 tabs (usually $530) for $200. That's how I got mine a few months back; it's in perfect working condition. All of them are - after all, both the liquidators and the reseller make sure they function before selling them.
PipArchDevil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Once I'm employed again I'll look into that.
Phil
Bloody persistant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tossed this idea around in my head for a long, long time. Both for here and elsewhere. I've just never had someone who was both capable and wiling to do a bi-weekly comic or whatever.
Strategos
a$$

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously: Who here can draw well enough? I've already pointed out that there'd be no shortage of writers on this board, but.... Who can draw?
Phil
Bloody persistant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're on the subject, we could use someone who can make a particular animated gif for us (for our 404 page). PM me if you think you're able.
Acend
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even sure I want to see how my character would be written
a$$

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acend wrote:
I'm not even sure I want to see how my character would be written

This might ring a bell.
[/obvious statement]
Acend
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah yeah yeah

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can draw but I have no scanner. Next!
NR
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: RPGLand comic strip Reply with quote

Jackal wrote:
I've been thinking about this idea for awhile. Unfortunately I forgot the better ideas. All I remember now was that it may be about a generic rpg character in a generic rpg world exploring the newest developments in the genre. Or possibly a strip featuring the players of the games ala Penny Arcade may be better suited to the site. Or the whole idea may be lame, I dunno.

Thoughts, considerations, intuitions?

Just noticed this.

Maybe draw up a sample or two and see how it goes? I'd love to give it a try.

Like Phil said, the idea is pretty cool, it's just hard to find someone willing and able. If you're that dude, that'd be awesome.
Slanderous!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New guy necroposting! You know, hoes, I have a tablet, a scanner, and I can draw.... portraits.

See we got Yul Brynner over here http://fin-samar.deviantart.com/art/Yul-Brynner-as-Taras-Bulba-109501031

And Barry over here: http://fin-samar.deviantart.com/art/Prez-44-120628360

And a Sigmund Freud: http://fin-samar.deviantart.com/art/Sigmund-Freud-93325799

Yes, I cherry picked, but my previous failures at art do not make me a total art failure. It's just proof that I, ahem, "matured" as a drawer of people's faces. Actually, you know, it'd be fun to do small strips for reviews... I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW I WRITE FOR AN UNPUBLISHED COMIC!!!!1
Owozifa
Red Menace Commie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taras Bulba fucks shit up.

That's the only legitimate thing I have to say here.
Captain of the War Wagon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to use people from the forums? Because if so, I want Solice to have a dinosaur head (don't care which dinosaur) and a pirate hat.

Also, I want a cape (preferrably red).
Slanderous!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not doing anything yet, and I don't think it'd be good to do with forum members because A) doing anything involving actual people devolves into a circlejerk or something where people get offended and B) I don't know any of you very well at all... lol, I just do reviews on the site.

What I could try doing is a strip or something prefacing editorials or articles on the site, or something. I'd let everyone come up with jokes or whatever so that they're actually funny and it's not just one unfunny person (ie: me, or anyone else) doing something that entertains only them... (Because comics should always have funny or clever jokes. No exceptions.)

/asshole

I'm actually not that great an artist for comics, but I know I can draw, and... with EXTRA TIME I can get a +2 bonus to my Artist (Drawing) skill roll.

/nerd (it's GURPS just in case you wanna know the reference).
Jackal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slanderous! wrote:
I don't think it'd be good to do with forum members because doing anything involving actual people devolves into a circlejerk or something where people get offended

Yep. I was gonna use caricatures of forum members as a slapstick adventuring party but I had hard time imagining it without being too rude or patronizing. I also dropped the comic strip idea altogether because after years without practice my characters all look like oddly proportioned visitors from the edge of a black hole.

Your drawings look great Slanderous. I'm not familiar with the character Yul Brenner is designed as but Obama and Freud are easily recognizable. I applaud your skill.

As far as ideas for the comic, a handful of characters representing the different rpg genres could be neat. Medieval guy, Sci-fi girl, and a computer with a human brain, ghost or other non-human that represents the too few "other" genres. They could team up to fight a corporation that wants to create a rare substance by atomizing the homeworld world of a technologically inferior alien civilization. In the end the geeky asianish male hero and equally geek-like caucasianesque female heroine become the saviors of the planet of aliens, who are pretty much an amalgamation of the various types of rpg player personalities, and then the galaxy, which is representative of video games in general.

Feel free to disagree. I forgot what I had in mind originally. I'm just making this up off the top of my head.
Slanderous!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, a bit of a strip I forgot about that I drew once on a whim.
Someone told me it reminded them of what I said about watching the news during the election. They might be right... it might also be a chittyshittybangbang way of trying to be Kafka:

Now there may be question as to: wtf is this guy posting his shit on this topic.

To prove my qualifications, goddamn it.

But yeah. I suppose we can just keep throwing ideas out there and see if some work some don't.
Jackal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't actually seen any of Kafka's films but I understand he did some pretty cerebral work. This emulates the style very well I think. Who is the phantom speaker? What does he speak of? Who is the character to whom he speaks? Interesting stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> Creation Discussion All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: