RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Final Fantasy XIII thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG Land Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
VsPluckyDuck
Duckslit


Joined: 19 Jan 2006
Posts: 1268

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what bothered me about this game's music? It's becoming more prominent as I'm perusing the soundtrack.

The music is great music, but it didn't fit so well in the game in the story scenes. It doesn't grab the reins and take charge, say to your face "I'm here and I'm relevant." It fades into the background a lot, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when you're trying to develop musical themes (which is what provides FFIX's soundtrack with such staying power, everything is so well connected) it can be a detriment.

I'm looking at the track listing. "Lightning's Theme." "Hope's Theme." I couldn't tell you what any of those character themes sound like. What are they? When did they play? How do they go? There wasn't a single musical melody that the game seemed to directly attach to a character. If it did, it wasn't strong enough, because I can't remember them or the association was muddled. The main theme of the game is supposed to be Serah's theme, I guess, which caught me off guard because it plays throughout the game, often at times when Serah was the furthest thing from my mind.

Compare FFVI, FFVII, FFIX and Treasures of the Rudras (bleh game, great themes). There are more that I'll think of, I'm sure. You know which song belongs to which character from when and how they queued up and the themes repeated. With FFXIII, you don't really get that. There are melodies that you hear several times, but they're not well connected to the characters.

One of my favourite tracks? Turns out it's "Sazh's Theme." Oh, it's a character piece? Good thing I associate it with "that Vile Peaks area with the cogs and walkways," instead of my favourite character, and good thing it played all of once.

The ones that stuck were the area pieces, rather than the cutscene ones. Probably because you hear them longer and nobody is talking over them. As a batch of CDs, FFXIII's soundtrack is good to listen to, but in the game, it was kind of mild and didn't pair with what was onscreen very well.

Listening to it after the fact, I'm enjoying it more than I did in the game, but I don't regret scoring the sound the way I did, because you can't expect everybody to grab the soundtrack and listen to it that way, and in the context of the game, it did not give me a good emotional grip on things because it was too vague.
My favourite tracks, by the way, are Sazh's Theme, Dust to Dust (Oerba Village), and Fighting Fate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wein Cruz
Likes bad games


Joined: 14 Apr 2006
Posts: 322

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamespot gave Final Fantasy XIII an 8.5/10. http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/finalfantasy13/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;read-review

Oh well, I still want to get this game. The linearity might've bothered me in the past, but not so much anymore, and from what I can tell, the game opens up substantially after the 20-30 hour mark. And the story looks like it's gonna rock. =p
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Omegarage
Captain of the War Wagon


Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Posts: 1539
Location: all up in your grill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reviews have been all over the place. I've given up trying to read any of them because they range from "This is utter bullshit" to "One of the best rpg's ever made."

I've resolved to pick up my copy, grab some snacks, and enjoy the ride.
_________________
"The teen passed out during the ceremony and the town decided to drown the cow."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VsPluckyDuck
Duckslit


Joined: 19 Jan 2006
Posts: 1268

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omegarage wrote:
The reviews have been all over the place. I've given up trying to read any of them because they range from "This is utter bs" to "One of the best rpg's ever made."

I've resolved to pick up my copy, grab some snacks, and enjoy the ride.


They really are all over the place. I haven't seen this much score-filled rage in a long time.

"8.4? They couldn't have given it a 9?"
"A-? You guys are total shills and just trying to sell this game. Whores."
"5/10? EDGE is not gamers! EDGE is worst reviewing place of ever!"
"10/10? What a pompous, horribly written review that was!"

The sad part is I'm thinking of four different reviews specifically, and real reactions I saw.
For what it's worth, I think EDGE has a very well-expressed review, and Derek over at RandomNPC pretty much wrote a doppelganger of my review (we must think alike). Although it's not like I've read a ton of reviews yet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Omegarage
Captain of the War Wagon


Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Posts: 1539
Location: all up in your grill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VsPluckyDuck wrote:
I haven't seen this much score-filled rage in a long time.


Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is the last time I can remember.
_________________
"The teen passed out during the ceremony and the town decided to drown the cow."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Idin Leis
McCoy fucked me so hard


Joined: 19 Oct 2005
Posts: 4627

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a commercial for FF XIII today. It made me feel embarrassed that I ever liked the Final Fantasy franchise as a whole.

Quote:
But as is appropriate given Cocoon's organic-meets-industrial art style, summons are sort of like transforming robots. Snow's summon, the Shiva sisters, combines to become a motorcycle; Sazh's summon, Brynhildr, morphs into a sports car. The transformer aspect sounds a bit cheesy, but the scenes are over the top in mostly the right ways.


After reading this. I will never play FFXIII ever.

But I mean this kinda goes along with what I have been saying all along. People will buy anything Square Enix shits out.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!


Joined: 07 Oct 2005
Posts: 9318

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny that you say that. Out of everything that I've heard about FFXIII from all the press outlets and hands-on play time, the summons is the only thing about the game that I think is awesome.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
RagePirate
Betrayal Burger


Joined: 01 Sep 2005
Posts: 644
Location: Buffalo, NY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idin Leis wrote:
I saw a commercial for FF XIII today. It made me feel embarrassed that I ever liked the Final Fantasy franchise as a whole.

Quote:
But as is appropriate given Cocoon's organic-meets-industrial art style, summons are sort of like transforming robots. Snow's summon, the Shiva sisters, combines to become a motorcycle; Sazh's summon, Brynhildr, morphs into a sports car. The transformer aspect sounds a bit cheesy, but the scenes are over the top in mostly the right ways.


After reading this. I will never play FFXIII ever.

But I mean this kinda goes along with what I have been saying all along. People will buy anything Square Enix shits out.


Maybe you misread...it says that you can COMBINE summons to get f---in race cars! Bro! How balls-achingly awesome is that? I should buy two copies just to support SE that much more. Maybe I could combine my two copies into a game that just lets me summon Bahamut again! Seriously, did anyone who enjoyed the FF games not enjoy the vintage 'bird descending from the heavens to jihad-style crash into your foe' animation? Do we need our summons to have engines?

It appears the only thing most reviewers agree on is that the story is a bag of ass. Why is this? In this day and age, do we still not know what it takes to make an engaging storyline? Creators are so desperate to recreate every element of FF7, but they miss the only part people actually cared about: the characters and the story around and about them.

Naming a character Lightning does not make him/her Cloud. Attempting to follow the FF12 storyline was like listening to a seven year old propose a new health care system. So much random magic and betrayals minced haphazardly into a stew of incoherence and absurdity. You know why I still haven't beaten 12? Because I didn't give a fuck. That world could have blown up for all I cared. Cid is not a villain. That was also f---in stupid. I enjoyed the battle system, but once I felt like I'd explored it to my satisfaction, I saw little reason to continue. I try to fire it up now and then, but all I do are hunts and shit. What's the point? The characters were all fags save for Basch/Auron (same gravelly voice, same role as 'Guy who saves the party from consisting of 100% fags or homeless looking beach bums'). Even then, it's not like you gave a shit about Basch; you just readily admitted that he was a harsh dude, and that's an admirable trait.

It had me grasping at straws! The characters were so bland and unlikable that some guy who just stood around and growled was my favorite character. Show you care about a story. It's the one area where Final Fantasy can still be Final Fantasy and stand above its peers. I don't want the materia system back. I don't need a black guy with a fro just to remind me of Barrett (but I'll take it). Give someone, ANYONE, some actual fucking depth as a character in a story so they're not just avatars that grunt cliched battle cries while I occasionally press a button.

Hate on FF7 all you want, but that game made me care. The story got a little weird at times, but I always cared about what happened next and that's a hell of a lot more than I can say for most games made today. If FF13 can make me care in a week of renting, then maybe I'll buy it. If not, why waste the dough? WOW long post, I apologize. End rant.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Omegarage
Captain of the War Wagon


Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Posts: 1539
Location: all up in your grill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idin Leis wrote:
I saw a commercial for FF XIII today. It made me feel embarrassed that I ever liked the Final Fantasy franchise as a whole.

Quote:
But as is appropriate given Cocoon's organic-meets-industrial art style, summons are sort of like transforming robots. Snow's summon, the Shiva sisters, combines to become a motorcycle; Sazh's summon, Brynhildr, morphs into a sports car. The transformer aspect sounds a bit cheesy, but the scenes are over the top in mostly the right ways.


After reading this. I will never play FFXIII ever.

But I mean this kinda goes along with what I have been saying all along. People will buy anything Square Enix shits out.


Doesn't hurt that you don't own any current-gen systems. At all.

Aren't you the same person trying to get people to pay money for a trial version of Darkfall? Talk about eating shit up.
_________________
"The teen passed out during the ceremony and the town decided to drown the cow."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Idin Leis
McCoy fucked me so hard


Joined: 19 Oct 2005
Posts: 4627

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omegarage wrote:
Idin Leis wrote:
I saw a commercial for FF XIII today. It made me feel embarrassed that I ever liked the Final Fantasy franchise as a whole.

Quote:
But as is appropriate given Cocoon's organic-meets-industrial art style, summons are sort of like transforming robots. Snow's summon, the Shiva sisters, combines to become a motorcycle; Sazh's summon, Brynhildr, morphs into a sports car. The transformer aspect sounds a bit cheesy, but the scenes are over the top in mostly the right ways.


After reading this. I will never play FFXIII ever.

But I mean this kinda goes along with what I have been saying all along. People will buy anything Square Enix shits out.


Doesn't hurt that you don't own any current-gen systems. At all.

Aren't you the same person trying to get people to pay money for a trial version of Darkfall? Talk about eating sh-- up.
gb2 gamefaqs
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Omegarage
Captain of the War Wagon


Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Posts: 1539
Location: all up in your grill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idin Leis wrote:
Omegarage wrote:
Idin Leis wrote:
I saw a commercial for FF XIII today. It made me feel embarrassed that I ever liked the Final Fantasy franchise as a whole.

Quote:
But as is appropriate given Cocoon's organic-meets-industrial art style, summons are sort of like transforming robots. Snow's summon, the Shiva sisters, combines to become a motorcycle; Sazh's summon, Brynhildr, morphs into a sports car. The transformer aspect sounds a bit cheesy, but the scenes are over the top in mostly the right ways.


After reading this. I will never play FFXIII ever.

But I mean this kinda goes along with what I have been saying all along. People will buy anything Square Enix shits out.


Doesn't hurt that you don't own any current-gen systems. At all.

Aren't you the same person trying to get people to pay money for a trial version of Darkfall? Talk about eating sh-- up.
gb2 gamefaqs


Cripes. You're one chittyshittybangbang comeback away from getting your handle changed to Wein Leis.
_________________
"The teen passed out during the ceremony and the town decided to drown the cow."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Idin Leis
McCoy fucked me so hard


Joined: 19 Oct 2005
Posts: 4627

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omegarage wrote:


Cripes. You're one crappy comeback away from getting your handle changed to Wein Leis.


Oh really?

I was at work using my cell.

Let me dissect your last post properly.

Omegarage wrote:

Doesn't hurt that you don't own any current-gen systems. At all.


No it doesn't hurt at all. Any game worth actually owning that has come out on the consoles is also on the PC sans a few(culdcept saga was pretty cool and so was lost odyssey). PC is the best platform IMO.

What does this have to do with you being a rabid squareenix fan boy? Try harder please.

Omegarage wrote:
Aren't you the same person trying to get people to pay money for a trial version of Darkfall? Talk about eating sh-- up.


It is one dollar. One dollar. Is that a lot of money?

Darkfall is the only game out that gives me the "risk" and heart pumping adrenaline moments in gaming. I have only had those once before playing Ultima Online. I am sure some of you had simiar experiences. I love playing games that promote pvp and player skill. Darkfall does this amazingly.

Darkfall explanation aside... How does it compare to FFXIII or its one dollar trial. Should I pay 59.99 to get one of the shittiest jpop/animu rpgs that is 80% cutscenes with out any freedom. It is linear as fuck and has no replay value.

KIND OF LIKE A MOVIE. Have fun playing your movie on your PS3.

That explanation aside....

FFXIII is a stand alone rpg not an MMO. It has no comparisons to Darkfall at all. I mean that would be like me relating the fact you are a square enix fan boy because you are an avid fan of pro wrestling. Though that might actually be a a more truthful comparison than the one you initially thought of.

The reason I said GB2 gamefaqs is because you sound like that DrakesFortune fag whne you got all butt hurt about me making fun of the game you were about to spend 65 dollars on.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Strategos
a$$


Joined: 01 Feb 2006
Posts: 2100
Location: Alll ston, MA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idin Leis wrote:
I mean that would be like me relating the fact you are a square enix fan boy because you are an avid fan of pro wrestling. Though that might actually be a a more truthful comparison than the one you initially thought of.


Pro wrestling:
Cheap, dramatic storyline. May appear open ended, but is in fact predetermined in entirety -- that is, linear. Very flashy, in order to make up for its faults. Has hordes of screaming fanboys, many of whom are pale 20-somethings who ought to have better things to do than masturbate to Hulk Hogan.

SE games:
Cheap, dramatic storyline. May appear open ended, but is in fact linear -- that is, predetermined in entirety. Very flashy, in order to make up for its faults. Has hordes of screaming fanboys, many of whom are pale 20-somethings who ought to have better things to do than masturbate to CloudxAeris.

Ah.
_________________
H-E-S-T-E-R is a long, convoluted joke.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pandar
Overlord of the Netherworld


Joined: 01 Sep 2005
Posts: 1286
Location: International Falls, Minnesota

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote


_________________
No matter where you go, there you are.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Omegarage
Captain of the War Wagon


Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Posts: 1539
Location: all up in your grill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idin Leis wrote:


Darkfall Darkfall Darkfall Darkfall


Same shit you've been posting for the last 6 months. I just wish 1 month your parents wouldn't pay their internet bill.
_________________
"The teen passed out during the ceremony and the town decided to drown the cow."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PipArchDevil



Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 1068
Location: Washington

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pandar wrote:


I suddenly changed my mind about getting a PS3... I look good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Idin Leis
McCoy fucked me so hard


Joined: 19 Oct 2005
Posts: 4627

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omegarage wrote:
Idin Leis wrote:


Darkfall Darkfall Darkfall Darkfall


Same sh-- you've been posting for the last 6 months. I just wish 1 month your parents wouldn't pay their internet bill.


LOL really?

YOU GOT ME FRIEND!

Strategos wrote:


Pro wrestling:
Cheap, dramatic storyline. May appear open ended, but is in fact predetermined in entirety -- that is, linear. Very flashy, in order to make up for its faults. Has hordes of screaming fanboys, many of whom are pale 20-somethings who ought to have better things to do than masturbate to Hulk Hogan.

SE games:
Cheap, dramatic storyline. May appear open ended, but is in fact linear -- that is, predetermined in entirety. Very flashy, in order to make up for its faults. Has hordes of screaming fanboys, many of whom are pale 20-somethings who ought to have better things to do than masturbate to CloudxAeris.

Ah.


When you put it that way.....
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
J.L.Jones
I'd like to see this


Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 2084

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omegarage wrote:
Idin Leis wrote:


Darkfall Darkfall Darkfall Darkfall


Same sh-- you've been posting for the last 6 months. I just wish 1 month your parents wouldn't pay their internet bill.

He'd probably shove a remote up his ass like WOWkid.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NR
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street


Joined: 31 Aug 2005
Posts: 7614
Location: Japan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RagePirate wrote:
It appears the only thing most reviewers agree on is that the story is a bag of ass. Why is this? In this day and age, do we still not know what it takes to make an engaging storyline? Creators are so desperate to recreate every element of FF7, but they miss the only part people actually cared about: the characters and the story around and about them.

Most FF7 fans probably line up with that thought, but I gotta say I dabbled with that game on my PSP recently and damn, it had better gameplay than I'd remembered.
_________________
If you buy stuff from Play Asia, help support RPG Land. Thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Idin Leis
McCoy fucked me so hard


Joined: 19 Oct 2005
Posts: 4627

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.L.Jones wrote:
Omegarage wrote:
Idin Leis wrote:


Darkfall Darkfall Darkfall Darkfall


Same sh-- you've been posting for the last 6 months. I just wish 1 month your parents wouldn't pay their internet bill.

He'd probably shove a remote up his ass like WOWkid.


I was waiting for the haters to come out of the woodwork.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG Land Updates All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group