RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Final Fantasy XIV

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VsPluckyDuck
Duckslit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Final Fantasy XIV Reply with quote

Big information dump!

Well, it's coming. Famitsu put up a ton of stuff about the classes but I haven't been able to come up with enough time to sit down and translate it completely yet, what with a pneumonia scare today and work meetings. There will be scans tomorrow so I'll pair 'em with the translation when I finish.

The stuff about the melee classes is mostly what we've heard before, but there haven't been any real details on the magic classes prior to this: Conjurer and Thaumaturge. They're both pretty interesting. Thaumaturge is basically about cursing Target A to make Target B stronger. It also looks like area of effect and distance are supposed to come into play a lot more.

So look forward to this tomorrow, I guess. Time to get our sick butts to bed, though.

Edit 6/4: http://rpgland.com/final-fantasy-xiv/final-fantasy-xiv-takes-dengeki-cover-new-scans/
6/24" http://rpgland.com/final-fantasy-xiv/final-fantasy-xiv-new-monster-character-creation-screens/

6/29:
http://rpgland.com/final-fantasy-xiv/final-fantasy-xiv-scans-of-beta-progress/
Strategos
a$$

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely not too early to start the hype train on this one, Square. What's amazing is that it's true. Why so soon after XIII? Realistically, the games are different enough, but. . . it's just so much Final Fantasy!
VsPluckyDuck
Duckslit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://rpgland.com/news/final-fantasy-xiv-info-about-classes-skills-in-battle/

Feh, stupid official site updating just as I'm finishing the translation. Well, whatever. It was good for me.

Throughout the info and interview portions of Famitsu, they kept reiterating "Judging the tide of the battle, positioning your character, and choosing the appropriate skills are all crucial to survival." I like the idea of range playing an important role, as well as the specific area of effect, whether the character is standing or moving, and so forth.

It seems like there are a lot of skills that are more than simply MP/effect tradeoffs: spend this much MP to get this effect. Rather, there are a lot that go something like "Stops movement in favor of cutting MP consumption" or "Sacrifices HP so party members can gain TP" or "Cuts attack distance to increase attack area." A lot of the attacks are situational, literally and figuratively: some can only be executed after something else happens, like you can only use Feint after evading an attack.

There also seems to be some nice shakeup of previous class types. A lot of them are more multifunctional than put into a single box. Conjurers aren't Black, White or Red: they can use all kinds of magic. Pugilists aren't Monks or Thieves, but something in between who can shift their focus from offensive to defensive. Lancers aren't just "the guys who fight like Knights except with spears," but have legitimate roles in supporting the party from a distance. Blacksmiths are strong against metal enemies! Marauders can use their axes effectively against Plant creatures! It's like Mystic Quest all over again. I like the idea of weapon weaknesses.

If the game actually plays out like they're trying to make it play out (non-button-mashy, awareness-heavy battles), it could be really awesome.
VsPluckyDuck
Duckslit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://rpgland.com/news/information-on-final-fantasy-xivs-races-and-tribes/

Now they have tribes within the races with different physical features and so forth.

It's still not clear if your tribe will affect your skill at certain things(ie, if you pick a Shader Elezen, will your skill at hand-to-hand combat and thievery really be better than, say, a Dunesdweller Lalafel?), but if so, that might open a can of worms because some tribes don't really have stated advantages at all. And I wonder what will happen to the lore as people start playing and break the historic stereotype. "Highlanders are rarely seen...except now, there are like a billion of them because players think they are cool."
Sethimothy
*Accomplished* Bastard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHY DO THE GALKAS NOT HAVE TAILS SQUARE-ENIX. WHY DO YOU HATE YOUR FANBASE. WHY.
Knighthawk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's abou time I get to play a black guy in a wife-beater. Consider this game sold.
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://rpgland.com/final-fantasy-xiv/final-fantasy-xiv-a-few-new-scans/
NR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://rpgland.com/final-fantasy-xiv/final-fantasy-xiv-new-monster-character-creation-screens/
mariechey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The graphics is really far away from FFXI, the edges are more smoother, more variety of monster to fight with and can fully customize your toon. Hoping that this will be enough for players to come and play aside from the fact that there no new races added.

Do you have guys have an idea how to get the beta access?

Last edited by mariechey on Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Solice Kirsk
True to the bullet pith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go fuck yourself noob.

Also, I have no idea about getting on the beta. Welcome to the board though!
NR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mariechey wrote:
Do you have guys have an idea how to get the beta access?

Nah the signups are over iirc.

You should sell patio heaters in your signature instead of MMO gold.
Owozifa
Red Menace Commie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I got FFXIII is when I signed up to get into the beta. Can't remember if you had to register the game for it or it just happened to coincide. Anyway, it starts tomorrow and I got in, but my roommate will be playing in my stead because I don't think there's anything I could care less about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG Land Updates All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: