RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BOOKS
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
randar23rhenn
Old school JRPG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: BOOKS Reply with quote

well we have a movies thread, why not books?

my favorite authors are:
Orson Scott Card- I actually met him at a sci fi convention+got his autograph on my copy of Ender's Game
Ben Bova- Hard Sci Fi
Iain M. Banks- Sci Fi/Fiction
Clive Barker- Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Horror blend
Isaac Asimov- Sci Fi

i just finished Weaveworld by Clive Barker- fantastic book, his style is amazing

right now i'm working on The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks

Thanks to Sabo for the sig
Idin Leis
McCoy fucked me so hard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't read books.
Betrayal Burger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm heading out in a minute but I fully support this thread. As I've stated in previous threads, my favorite all-time series is A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin. An absolute tour de force not just in the fantasy genre but in fiction in general. Stephen King's Dark Tower series is also good if you're looking for an epic series in general.

Anything by Chuck Palahniuk (writer of Fight Club and Choke) is quality. Same goes for Kurt Vonnegut, Chuck Klosterman, Michael Lewis and Stephen Pressfield. All very different writers but all put out consistently quality shit.

I'm currently reading Tom Wolff's Bonfire of the Vanities and Robert Greene's 33 Strategies of War. Both of which I highly recommend based on what I've read. I hate people who claim the Catcher in the Rye is their favorite book of all time. As much as I enjoyed Salinger's magnum opus, it's becoming a very generic answer from the college age generation to cite Catcher as a favorite. But if you do like it, try Tobias Wolf's This Boy's Life. Just as good with the same "angry teenage boy with a quirky life" angle. Except it's all non-fiction.

Anyways, dollar pints call. That should get the ball rolling though.
J.L.Jones
I'd like to see this

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RagePirate wrote:
Anything by Chuck Palahniuk (writer of Fight Club and Choke) is quality.

Fuck YES.
Strategos
a$$

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: BOOKS Reply with quote

randar23rhenn wrote:

Orson Scott Card

Seconded; He's good stuff. Have you read his column? I like it, though I can understand that many people wouldn't His stance on gays creeps me out too... I mean, it's alright if you get a bit uncomfortable around gays, but he's borderline homophobic, if not already there.

I'm a big Nancy Farmer (Magical Realism) fan, and I've also read a goodly bit of Stephen King.

Curt Benjamin also makes the cut.

David Eddings is good, but sometimes the diction starts to get on my nerves - same tale with the Hitchhikers Guide series.

Another author I follow is Robert Jordan.

I've read a little Asimov - currently my favorite work by him is The Gods Themselves.

After that, Tolkien is a given.

Then, I've always loved the book Dogland.

That's all that comes to mind. I'd give you better, but my library is across the room, so nothing I can't call right off the top of my head makes it.
Owozifa
Red Menace Commie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...

Love Michael Ende, Kenji Miyazawa, and Peter S. Beagle. Probably the best books there in order are The Neverending Story, Night on the Milky Way Railroad, and The Last Unicorn. I think that covers most of my non-cliche favorites from the modern era. Because I love Tolkien too, and not just his LoTR stuff. The Children of Hurin is coming out soon, which is plenty awesome as it's like one of my favorite parts of The Silmarillion even in short summary. Who knew I'd be looking forward to a new Tolkien book ever.

I tend to love a lot of old stuff from mythology to Mark Twain. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court makes me laugh.

I'm hoping to read Dune soon, but we'll see how that goes. Oh, and I just bought a book called "The Moonstone" which looks damn interesting and is one of the first mystery novels ever.

Yeah there's a lot more to say, because I read just about everything. I suppose I could also add what books I don't enjoy. It seems like a lot of people have that one "classic" of literature they just don't like for some reason or other. Mine's everything John Steinbeck ever wrote.

Edit: Just remembered Terry Pratchett does some good stuff. One of my favorites in a while has to be Going Postal.
Betrayal Burger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of classics, a few classics everyone should read are The World According to Garp by John Irving. One of the most engrossing books I've ever read. Also, I'm sure we've all heard about it in a history book at least a few times in high school but it warrants mentioning again since I recently looked over it again. Niccolo Machiavelli is a legend. Specifically The Prince, but all of his works are awesome. His works transcend any sort of time barriers and the language is so easy to understand you can't help but get caught up in what he's saying. I can't recommend either work highly enough.
randar23rhenn
Old school JRPG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RagePirate wrote:
As I've stated in previous threads, my favorite all-time series is A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin.

i met him at a sci fi convention too- got his autograph on the first book

haven't read any of them though

he seemed a cool enough guy, but orson scott card was more amiable and willing to talk

LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really like these kinds of threads because I don't read often enough to actually check out anyone's recommendations, and I don't feel people care enough to read the things I recommend. That said, every time I see a book thread I have to mention Greg Keyes who wrote my favourite fantasy stories, The Waterborn and The Blackgod. It sounds like kind of a tried and true premise, but Keyes knowledge of Anthropology makes for some of the most well realised cultures I've ever read.
Red Menace Commie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I understand that. It's basically the same for me too, I have such a list as it is and I'm constantly having to read stuff for school so... But I do take things under consideration all the same.
Duckslit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a copy of a book of Henry James' short stories yesterday. It includes the title story, Daisy Miller. The girl I got it from said it was one of her favourites, so I look forward to reading that.
randar23rhenn
Old school JRPG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone else read the warhammer 40k novels at all?

or star wars?

i havent read TOO many warhammer 40k ones, mainly i've just read the Eisenhorn and what's so far of the ravenor series, though i started a couple others

star wars ive read them all up to bloodlines

Acend
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a ton, right now I'm a big fan of Max Berry and I've always been a huge supporter of Stephen R. Lawhead.
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno if I "read Star Wars books," but I did recently discovered a torrent full of them so I started the Thrawn Trilogy (almost done with book 2) and will probably continue reading a lot more of it after that, since it's pretty badass.
I'd like to see this

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I gather from fans, The Star Wars books are pretty good right up until the Yuuzhan Vong series starts.

Thrawn Trilogy being the best.
randar23rhenn
Old school JRPG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^are those warhammer novels?

if so, 40k or fantasy?

as for the Star Wars series, the Vong series i felt was really good too.. and it still is now

Owozifa
Red Menace Commie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really read much branded stuff like that. It comes from there being like 40 million books involved more than anything else, I think.
Old school JRPG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yah its hard to get into them, cause it is hard to know where to start. with star wars though, i read them pretty much as they came, in order. so that rocked.

VsPluckyDuck
Duckslit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What else? Somebody in IRC tossed an archive file of Animorphs books 1-30. I absolutely peeled through those books back in elementary school. They're pretty fun quick reads.
randar23rhenn
Old school JRPG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never got into those, when i was in elementary school i was starting the star wars series

i also read the boxcar children series or whatever its called

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> Misc. Discussion All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: