RPG LAND Forum Index RPG LAND
Welcome to RPG Land's discussion boards. Most RPG heroes post here before they lose their memories and star in video games.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Used Games Yes, DRM No on PS4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're using a straw man argument to beat around the fact that a movies' success is determined by its theatrical run and a games' success is determined by number of new units sold. Just because there's no direct physical comparable product doesn't mean they're not comparable metrics.
The Great White Bear of Sunflower Street

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiQuid! wrote:
Also I skimmed your stupid article and the excuses you're using to justify your bad behavior is astounding.

...you're being naive as fuck if you think that's typical of the vast majority of people that buy and sell used video games.

In a world where we're all talking as if we are the only person who matters, it sounds like I fit right in Wink

LiQuid! wrote:
You're using a straw man argument to beat around the fact that a movies' success is determined by its theatrical run and a games' success is determined by number of new units sold. Just because there's no direct physical comparable product doesn't mean they're not comparable metrics.

Well if the two can't be compared, stop trying to compare them. I didn't do that first, that was you, dude.

Movie theaters can't be compared to video games because you pay for a one-time "use" of the product and then it's over. You can't even own it digitally like you can with your preferred method of game acquisition. DVDs are the most comparable aspect of the movie scene (heh), but like you said, even that's not the same because of the % of value to each.
Solice Kirsk
True to the bullet pith

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One time I saw a guy buying a chair at a garage sale and I freaked out on him for not giving the manufacturer of the chair its fair cut. The mental backflips people will do to protect the interests of billion dollar megacorporations is ridiculous. Part of me hopes this gets brought in front of the supreme court and argued that all software property laws violate the first sale doctrine.

For people to lazy to click, basically its a law that gives people the right to buy/sell property that has been put out into the market buy the manufacturer.

For fucks sake, Europe got it right, but since MS is in the US guess where the justice system will probably land on it if it ever seriously comes up here:

Quote:
the European Court of Justice ruled on July 3, 2012, that it is indeed permissible to resell software licenses even if the digital good has been downloaded directly from the Internet, and that the first-sale doctrine applied whenever software was originally sold to a customer for an unlimited amount of time, as such sale involves a transfer of ownership, thus prohibiting any software maker from preventing the resale of their software by any of their legitimate owners.[3][4][5] The court requires that the previous owner must no longer be able to use the licensed software after the resale, but finds that the practical difficulties in enforcing this clause should not be an obstacle to authorizing resale, as they are also present for software which can be installed from physical supports, where the first-sale doctrine is in force.[6][7] The ruling applies to the European Union, but could indirectly find its way to North America; moreover the situation could entice publishers to offer platforms for a secondary market.[4]

"True to the bullet pith on the enclose, Rocksmith allows you to beat the drum for legitimate hither any electric guitar into the proprietary USB chain that comes with the encounter..." - NEERGENCE, 12/02/2011
Omegarage
Captain of the War Wagon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, you had 8 days of outrage built up there.
Solice Kirsk
True to the bullet pith

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, just noticed this thread.
"True to the bullet pith on the enclose, Rocksmith allows you to beat the drum for legitimate hither any electric guitar into the proprietary USB chain that comes with the encounter..." - NEERGENCE, 12/02/2011
Omegarage
Captain of the War Wagon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acend
Will date your daughter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://econweb.econ.kuleuven.ac.be/rebel/jaargangen/1991-2000/1993/TEM1993-1/TEM1993-1_73-85p.pdf

LiQuid!, Economists say second hand and used markets actually help primary good markets. Also, I don't see how they're going to be able to sell a physical game disk and not allow the owner to resale it, the supreme court has already ruled on this, if part of the good is physical then the consumer owns it and can resale without limitations, if its purely digital, then it can be licensed and does not fall under those laws.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to that applause, baby.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/06/10/watch-the-audience-go-crazy-when-ps4-nodrm-no-authentication-is-announced/
Solice Kirsk
True to the bullet pith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I'm gonna get a PS4 when it releases. $399 was the tipping point for me.
Omegarage
Captain of the War Wagon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well last night was kind of......well it was kind of brutal. For Microsoft.

Really, really, just-got-pounded-in-the-ass, brutal.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Xbox One:

Crimson Dragon
D4
Dead Rising 3
Forza Motorsport 5
Killer Instinct
Ryse Son of Rome
Quantum Break
Sunset Overdrive
Titanfall
Halo (5)
Kinect Sports Rivals
Project Spark

PS4:

Deep Down
The Order: 1886
Basement Crawl
Infamous: Second Son
Final Fantasy 14 (Console exclusive)
Killzone: Shadowfall
Knack
DriveClub
Primal Carnage: Genesis

Haha that Sony list, so bad I can't stop laughing.

Oh and also:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/11/4419566/sony-jack-tretton-publishers-can-choose-to-enforce-drm
OH HEY LOOK publishers can use DRM anyways! Hahahahahaha. Even if Sony's first party games won't have DRM on them they leave it up to publishers to include it (and why wouldn't they since they're already getting it on Xbox).

The price difference is fitting because you get what you pay for and the PS4 is going to be a miserable piece of shit just like the PS3 is.
Captain of the War Wagon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crimson Dragon sounded amazing.

How about how DRM can already be used by publishers, but most don't add it because it's a huge inconvenience? Now with the Xbox 1 it's a forced inconvenience. So....go MS on that one.

Ugh, but now you're just being sad. It's like when a fighter is knocked out but he still keeps going for the takedown on the ref.
NR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiQuid! wrote:
OH HEY LOOK publishers can use DRM anyways! Hahahahahaha.

Anyone who knows anything about social climate can see that a publisher DOING that in this situation is going to get crucified. It''s just the momentum of it all. That room full of cheering people...this internet full of cheering people...in that, you don't just walk out and go "Yeah! And that thing you're all cheering for? That? Yeah well the games made by *my* company have the opposite of that, so like...you know...we're still good, right?" Seems like suicide.
LiQuid!
fasta dan a muddafucka!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're dreaming. Microsoft is just spearheading the fight and taking the brunt of it. Publishers WANT DRM shit so hard. Sony has only committed to no DRM on first party games but if publishers decide to add DRM on PS4 versions of their games, then what, people are just going to openly boycott them all? People have already prove on the PC that they're willing to put up with that shit to play games they want.

EA, Ubi, every major third party is going to have used game locks on their shit, regardless of the console. It was nice of Sony to give the aspies their nerd-pandering moment (the cheering was the 2nd most hilarious thing so far from E3 next to all of the characters in Killer Instinct being DLC lololol) but they're no better. It's just a stunt.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Care to make it interesting Smile
Solice Kirsk
True to the bullet pith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liquid, you're trolling has become weak as of late. I think you may need to hit up the troll gym and beef up. You used to be really good at it, now its like watching some one smash a screw into a wall with a hammer. Sure it gets the job done, but come on.
Idin Leis
McCoy fucked me so hard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best recap ever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7DzZwAP2H8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see Gamestop go out of business. However, that's more because I used to work there and have legitimate beef with the treatment of employees and the brutal assreaming of employee job security in favor of the Daily Lexus.

While I'm well aware the unemployment increase of such a direction would be staggering; I also think the United States needs a nice, cold, wake up shocker to the inability to sustain businesses where only the highest level attains financial profit.
NR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idin Leis wrote:

The Nintendo part at the end had me practically in tears.

"Reggie, all these games are multiplayer focused. Will we be seeing online play?"
"Nope! Goodbye everybody!"
Idin Leis
McCoy fucked me so hard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NR wrote:
Idin Leis wrote:

The Nintendo part at the end had me practically in tears.

"Reggie, all these games are multiplayer focused. Will we be seeing online play?"
"Nope! Goodbye everybody!"

Dunkey is one of the best channels ever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RPG LAND Forum Index -> RPG Land Updates All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: